Homeschoolers Introduction to Clay Wheel Throwing
Wednesdays at 11:30am to 12:45pm November 1st 2023 through December 6th 2023. Ages 8 and up.
Limited to eight seats per six-week session.
Please be on time for all classes to avoid falling behind in the lesson as well as being courteous to the other students. There are no makeup days. By registering for this series, you will need to attend all six sessions.
~ 6 Week Lesson Plan ~
Week 1 (11/01/23):
- -Learn how to center/open clay on the wheel
- -Learn proper use of tools/basic wheel throwing skills
- -Go over proper set up/clean up
- -Brainstorm ideas for next week!
- Demo: In depth centering on wheel
Week 2 (11/08/23):
Learn how to pull up walls/shape:
- -Begin learning how to pull up your walls and successfully make a piece
- -Shaping techniques
- Demo: Pulling and shaping a bowl on the wheel
Week 3 (111/15/23):
Work Day/Learn how to shape a vase:
- -Review previous weeks lessons
- -Learn how to pull a tall cylinder
- -Learn different shaping techniques to create a vase
- Demo: Pulling and shaping a vase on the wheel
Week 4 (11/22/23):
Work Day/Trim pieces:
- -Use skills learned from week 1-3 to continue projects (bowls, cups, vases, plates, etc.)
- -Learn proper use of tools
- -Learn how to trim and add a foot ring
- -Pull handles!
- Demo: Trimming foot rings and pulling different style handles
Week 5 (11/29/23):
Finish projects/Glazing lesson:
- -Finish trimming/adding any handles or add on’s
- -Get projects ready for bisque fire
- -Learn basic glazing techniques
- -Begin glazing pieces that were finished last week
Week 6 (12/06/23):
Final glaze day/Kiln room tour and lesson
- -Finish all glazing and get your pieces ready for final firing!
- -Kiln room tour and lesson about kilns